Thursday, October 12, 2006

Alaskan Brown Bear




This last summer I was blessed with the opportunity to spend a little over a week in Juneau Alaska with my Dad. My Dad was brought up their as an instructor by an Alaskan Plein Aire group called the Plein Rain painting group, it rains a lot in Juneau. It was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot about painting from life from my old man. Juneau is by far the most beautiful place I have ever seen. While there we saw hundreds of bald eagles, a black bear, seals, glacier's, mountains, billions of salmon, and last but not least, humpback whales. It was an experience I will never forget. I painted plein aire for the first time, and did six plein aires, as well as this sketch of a Grizzly (from a photo). The small watercolor sketch of mountains on the upper right was done on my last day in Alaska. My Dad and I took a tram 4,000 ft. up a mountain and then hiked up even further and did some fun little watercolor sketches.

2 Comments:

Blogger Larry Seiler said...

I'm glad you posted this on here, I nearly forgot you had done this. I think you painted the bear on the Fairweather, no? I smile to reflect on it.

Was a great time...and one I'll carry into my frail white hair old years! Can't imagine what the experience might have been like without having you to share it with. An enchanting world...I do so want to go back. I think my paintings of late have reflected that sentiment!

8:49 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

I'd love to go back too, an awesome experience. And yeah, I painted that while on the Fairweather, that was really cool!

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners