Monday, August 06, 2007

Lakeshore Plein Air







I'm starting two pretty big illustrations this week as well as attending the Chicago Wizard Comic Con, so there won't be much time for me to get out and paint for the next couple of weeks. So I woke up around 5:30 this morning and walked a few blocks east towards Lake Shore Dr and did this little plein air. I got there around 6:15 or so and painted until 7:40. The view, if any of you are familiar with Chicago, is looking north down lakeshore towards Evanston.

Unfortunately it was not the most pleasant painting experience . . . sure is hard to concentrate when you're ankles are the main course for flies and who knows what else? The entire time I painted I was bitten over and over again . . . lets just say my legs look like I've got leprosy. On top of that, I painted on a textured clayboard but forgot to gesso it, so the paint didn't spread nice and smooth . . . rather it felt like I was painting with gum or tar . . . anyways, I thought I'd still post it since it was an honest attempt to capture Lakeshore in the morning, and again another learning experience.

My palette this morning was an experiment as well. I used a split-complementary palette, blue-violet was my dominant color and my splits were orange and yellow. It was gloomy and sort of nasty looking as well as humid and sticky, so before I started with my split palette I mixed up a gloomy pile of mud and then mixed every color into this mud to create even more harmony. If anything, I feel successful in capturing the mood of the morning.

8x10 Oil on crappy clay board!

8 Comments:

Blogger William K. Moore said...

Great greens for the trees. I'm familiar with that area and trying to think of the closest place to get a "Chicago" dog. Some effective verticals in the compostition with the poles.. and not overdone. You might want to post your work on Wet Canvas under the plein air section... that is one of the better areas on that site. A working artist is a lucky artist.. best on the upcoming illos.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Larry Seiler said...

has a shimmery effect no doubt from the clayboard and oil..
nice to read your willingness to share even those stubborn works...and plein air being a challenge to begin with seems to invite that honesty that leads to comadery.

Mr. Moore's comment about the Wetcanvas plein air forum is a good one. I might want to check that forum out myself!!! ... heheee... ;^)

4:03 PM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

NICE man! I love looking at plein air studies. You definitely captured the thick atmosphere that I'm sure was out there in Chicago. And interesting notes on your palette too. I'll have to try that. Can you explain more about what a split-palette is?

5:57 PM  
Blogger Shawn Escott said...

Oh man! I know exactly what you mean. I've actually had a poisonous snake almost slither over my feet one time!! That was pretty scary. And the bugs can be quite disturbing and relentless. Isn't Plein Air Awesome!!! :) Hearing you talk about forgetting to gesso the board reminds me of the many times I've done that. I've also forgotten my palette, paper towels, and solvent. HA HA!!! You did great under your circumstances with this one. I like the edges you are getting with the middle and back ground buildings. Your enthusiasm is inspiring too!

9:42 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Fogot to mention Jason I like the border on the work.. the background provided by your easel. I would have that for my frame - hee. Let me know how it works out at WC if either you or your dad or both try it out. If you see Wray there give him a heads up....

10:37 PM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thank you everyone, I'm really encouraged . . . glad you like my efforts! I'm trying to really push myself in this area . . . great thing about living in Chicago is that I will never run out of things to paint, just panel to paint on!

Marco, send me a personal email and I will fill you in on the Split-Complementary Palette!

7:33 AM  
Blogger bog_art said...

You work is amazing..

10:12 AM  
Blogger Mette said...

I really like that painting, it has a beautiful, misty feeling to it. (:

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners