Thursday, March 05, 2009

Hattie 9X12 Oil




This is a small oil painting that I did "as a favor" for one of my students. I say "favor" because I turn down these types of jobs almost weekly. It's not that I don't enjoy drawing dogs or animals, I just don't like drawing or painting PETS . . . so don't ask, it was a one time deal. Just kidding . . . but seriously don't ask.

It was fun to paint, I slightly exaggerated the features, but I didn't go too far because the dog had enough character as is. I really loved the dogs eyes so I wanted to direct the attention on the right eye. I used a limited palette for this and painted it all with a large and medium sized filbert brush. The palette I used was Ivory Black, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Red, and Titanium White. I did this painting in two sessions, one quick session where I put down a thin block in or under painting. And then a second session bringing it to a finish.

Sorry for the lack of posts lately, I'm nearly finished with a large illustration that I have been painting for GOLF magazine. I'm very excited about it, and feel it's my best illustration yet. I pushed myself a lot with this job and hope to show art directors what I can "really" do if given more then a day or two to complete a job. I'll be sure to post the art as well as process as soon as I have permission to do so. Thanks for stopping by and check back soon for new art!

23 Comments:

Blogger turcios curriculum said...

Excelente! impresionante lo humano que tiene este perro.
abrazo

excellent! impressive man who has this dog.
hug

1:16 AM  
Blogger Richard Watts said...

Wonderful. Right up there with Kruger!

1:32 AM  
Blogger Nelson Santos said...

Funny pic man.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Love the brush work Jason! I like the tight and looseness quality!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

awesome painting!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Everybody's gotta be in a Gang said...

Expertly done, Jason. It's very fresh looking; I really like what you did with the white fur throughout. It reminds me of something Sargent would do.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Mystericon said...

Amusing puppy! :)

10:36 AM  
Blogger Tim Bye said...

Great piece Jason! I'm almost scared to see what you "can really do" if that's not what you're posting!!!

11:36 AM  
Blogger skicc said...

Great pinting jason! I don't like painting pets either. Thanks for that you had a look at my blog and thanks for the mail.

11:39 AM  
Blogger nideep said...

you ARE great!!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Edward Burton said...

Excellent painting, Jason! I love the brushwork.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Anthony Pascoe said...

great brushstrokes !...woof

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't blame you for not enjoying pet paintings. I'm not fond of doing them either - mostly because I'm not emotionally attached to the subject so I find them boring to do. Give me the funny!

Looking forward to seeing your golf piece. I haven't written you before, so I thought I'd mention that I'm really taken with your work. Nice stuff all around.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Pito said...

Muy buena!

Gran trabajo.

Abrazo

7:02 PM  
Blogger Paul Moyse said...

Damn, you know how to whet our appetites!! Nice doggie painting, I know what you mean about doing them though!

4:34 AM  
Blogger Joe Bluhm said...

Nice piece, Jason. I LOVE doing animal paintings/drawings, and dogs are one of my favorite subjects. This one turned out really nice.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Vladimir Bursać said...

Bravo! Great work, so fresh...

6:31 AM  
Blogger Ken Knafou said...

I love when you use brushes and paints.

11:26 PM  
Blogger kencoogan said...

Absolutely beautiful paintng Jason! Whoever you painted this for is a very lucky person indeed.
Can't wait to see what you do for Golf magazine!

2:49 AM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

nice one!
Yeah I hate painting pets too.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Jeremy Townsend (JERT) said...

Jeez your a prolific dude.......yer blog is so full of great paintings, I mean wow, you mustn't sleep

4:07 AM  
Blogger thijz said...

great respect Jason!!

10:41 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

I like this . I think you found a way of overcoming the "shame of being a pet painter. Makes me want to do one.

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners