Monday, May 24, 2010

Ben Wahhh Painting for 3D Total




This is a painting I finished last week of my friend Ben Wahhh, owner of Deluxe Tattoo here in Chicago. I did this painting for 3D Total,as a step by step tutorial. The Tutorial will be published in a book this November, called Digital Painting Techniques 2. 3D Total puts out great books on digital painting. I did a different step by step for them a few months ago for their book "Digital Masters Volume 5" which will be available soon.
I'll be sure to share info on how and when the book can be purchased. You can expect that it will be a nice book filled with lots of great work and tutorials.

To check out books put out by 3D Total, click here.



Detail of eyes and nose.

For this tutorial, I wasn't interested in painting photo realistically. Instead, I focus on how to paint realistically while keeping a painterly look, which is much more interesting to me. Anyone can render the snot out of something, especially with photoshop, but to paint with a traditional feel, while painting digitally is to me, much more satisfying.

Look to the masters like Sargent, and Zorn for beautiful brush work, study the masters and then paint, paint, paint!!!

29 Comments:

Blogger GOGOPEDRO said...

pretty stunning....So much detail..

P

11:56 AM  
Blogger Toby Kinread said...

Brilliant Painting Jason, may I ask what brush you use mainly for the skin? Thanks:)

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that looks wicked, nice smooth edges even in zoomed in.
looking forward pirating that book
:) just kidding

2:42 PM  
Blogger w said...

Hey Jason,

This looks Wahhhnderful! Couldn't help myself... What kind of palette did ya use?

ted

3:08 PM  
Blogger Lester DiLorenzo said...

Wow! absolutely marvelous! I always look forward to your blog posts!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Sick bro, its good you mention the masters too! As always another beautifully painted piece, congrats!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Adam Temple said...

Damn good. One of my favs.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Jorge Restrepo H. said...

WONDERFUL!

7:13 PM  
Anonymous theb said...

Amazing Mister... it looks like a sculpture, volume strikes my eyes on this piece. The artist ref you gave are great ! Thank you

7:29 PM  
Blogger kencoogan said...

Really interesting technique and approach Jason and....well, just simply amazing really.

1:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Incredible, really 3D!

5:20 AM  
Blogger Tim Wilmsen said...

Amaizing portret Jason. Love the light on the forehead and nose... also the hair is well done.

Tim

5:39 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Amazing. I still refer to your book to remind me of how painting should look and how i decided that i needed to drop the dreaded Photoshop effects and get back to basics. I spend a lot more time on my sketching and building up values carefully. This painting reminds me of what can be achieved, maybe?

6:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Marvellous - stunning detail Jason.

7:20 AM  
Blogger DanC said...

Try Painter 11. You will love it even more than PS.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Gary Locke said...

oh my------how do i get my neck hair to grow like THAT!???

10:37 AM  
Blogger Thomas Fluharty said...

BEAUTIFUL bro simply beautiful!!!!!!~T

11:10 AM  
Blogger Adrian Lubbers said...

Love it as usual.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Miguel Garrido said...

Great quality on all the details, great!

3:15 PM  
Blogger greg oakes said...

love the raw traditional feel jason; great job!! :)

6:19 PM  
Blogger Michael Byers said...

Gorgeous. I hope that one day I can commission you to do one of me. I'm a little vain like that. Ha ha.

6:41 PM  
Blogger gaurishankar said...

you are rocking man...great detailing.

3:03 AM  
Blogger Manoj Sinha said...

ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Gerardo Perez said...

Excellent your work, my friend. Regards.

9:29 AM  
Blogger John R Wohland said...

Nailed it! You animal :D

10:03 AM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

T is for terrific! I'm groov'n on this for awhile. Facial muscles all seem to go where they belong and that ain't easy.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Thiago Martins said...

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

I can touch him...very very nice!!

3:45 PM  
Blogger charles Da Costa said...

Fantastic !!! the light is beautiful and the detail
I like

3:00 AM  
Blogger Colucci Bertua said...

REALLY awesome, congrats!!

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners