Friday, November 19, 2010

Major League Baseball World Series!



I was honored to do three paintings for the 2010 World Series Program, a full page illustration . . .




. . . and two smaller spot illustrations . . .






This was a fun job to do, but it had many challenges. While working on these three paintings, I also did my first painting for Rolling Stone, and on top of that I caught a nasty sinus infection. Good times, but the brush must move on!!! In the end, I only had 5 days to complete all three paintings. I decided to loosen up my style, I wanted them to be fun, and light-hearted. I decided to be more painterly as well, leaving brush strokes and some sketch lines. I wanted the paintings to feel more traditional than digital as I felt it would fit the article more.

I had a difficult time finding good references of Jeff Weaver of the Dodgers . . . I wanted a specific look which I could not find. The best reference I found was taken indoors with horrible lighting and just about everything else wrong with it. So I ended up re-building his face using several different reference shots including pictures I had taken of myself. Challenges are good fun, but can be stressful under such tight turnarounds.



Quick mock up sketch.



I wanted to show these close ups to share the loose and painterly look . . . less is more was the idea . . .



I love and hate painting hands!



I really enjoyed painting this camera. It's simple but I really had fun with the color and brush work.




The little details in this piece were fun as well.




This lady is so simple and took maybe a couple minutes at most, but she's my favorite part.



This painting was a lot of fun as well, but took almost as long to complete as the opener and this was only supposed to be a "spot illustration". Oh well, sometimes you gotta go with what you're feeling. Again, I really enjoyed creating the brushwork in this one. I wanted to capture the grimy lighting that you sometimes see in NY subways . . . and there's always someone sleeping somewhere with their mouth wide open, so I thought that would be a fun little bit to throw in there.




The sketch on the left was done very quickly and was the mock that I did for the art director. The version on the right side was how the block in looked before I decided to re-draw and paint the sleeping girl. I changed her because I felt in this version they looked like a couple instead of strangers and it's funnier if they don't know each other.



This was the last spot I did for the program . . . this one had to be done in one day. Again, less is more, I knew it would print rather small, so I kept it more brushy and loose.




This is a sketch I did for one of the spot's but then last minute I was asked to paint someone else instead.

19 Comments:

Blogger rwpike said...

Excellant work! Congrats. I love that image of you in the subway.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Toby Kinread said...

AMAZING!! Congratulations Jason:)

2:08 PM  
Blogger Barry O'Donoghue said...

Great pieces man.

2:18 PM  
Blogger J. Anthony Kosar said...

Very cool Jason, love the way you painted these! Cool to see your initial sketches and thought process, as always!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Jorge Restrepo H. said...

Great work!!!! I like the brush strokes.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Haitao Su said...

Congratulations! my bro, you are the best always!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Eres el mejor, de pana, sin palabras. esta demasiado bueno las caricaturas.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Dominic Philibert said...

Superbly done!
Loving these!

11:21 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Thanks for laying these out for us fans Jason - what you can do with 4 shapes: sphere, cube, cone and cylinder is real magic.. and cheers on your addition to SI .. big stuff!

12:12 AM  
Blogger charles Da Costa said...

your work is wonderful, very accomplished !!!

I love your colors !!!

5:00 AM  
Blogger Tim Bye said...

Just incredible - how you them paint so fast is just stunning Jason. Great stuff

9:08 AM  
Blogger igoohit said...

thanks for sharing Jason, learning a lot from this post:) magnificent as always!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Don Coker said...

Very cool Jason. Congrats on your series for the Series.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Noah Stokes said...

I don't recognize the brush. How did you accomplish such an organic look? If you tell me, will you have to kil me? Great work - as usual

10:45 PM  
Blogger Alberto Russo said...

Great work, Jason.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Winston said...

Awesome work, love the Chicago bean in the background!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

awesome as usual,
did you decide to place self caricature in all your multi characters work now?
Or is it just because you use self ref ;)

2:28 AM  
Blogger jmborot said...

great. i particularly enjoy the close ups, "painterly".
It's great.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, sir. Quick question: Was the last sketch done in Sketchbook Pro or on paper? Thanks.

SS

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners